I was asked how my health was holding up. Here is my recent medical report as of Sept 2, 2026.
For more than forty years, I have lived with diabetes and the health problems that have followed it. Over the years, I have faced diabetic neuropathy, the loss of two toes, joint problems, heart disease, kidney disease, essential thrombocythemia, and several other medical concerns. Recently, another diagnosis was added to that list: Parkinson’s disease.
I share this report not to seek sympathy, but to help my family, friends, church family, and readers understand where I am in this journey. I also want others facing serious health problems to know that a diagnosis may change how we live, but it does not have to take away our purpose, faith, or hope.
My Present Kidney Condition
My recent blood work showed a creatinine level of 4.0, a BUN of 51, and an estimated glomerular filtration rate, or eGFR, of 14.6. These numbers indicate that my kidneys are severely impaired. An eGFR below 15 is generally considered the beginning of stage 5 kidney disease, although one blood test alone does not determine whether dialysis is necessary.
There are still some encouraging signs. My potassium, sodium, magnesium, and carbon dioxide levels remain within normal ranges. My phosphorus is near the upper end of normal, and my parathyroid hormone level is normal. I am also not anemic at this time. These results show that, although my kidney function is severely reduced, my body is still maintaining several important balances.
My kidney specialist must continue watching the trend carefully. The important question is whether this is now my stable level of kidney function or whether an infection, dehydration, medication, heart problem, or another condition has caused a temporary decline.
My Blood Disorder
I was diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia after my platelet count rose to more than 1,100,000. Platelets help the blood clot, but when there are too many, they can increase the risk of abnormal clotting or, in some cases, bleeding.
I have been treated with hydroxyurea, and my most recent platelet count was 677,000. That is still considerably above the normal range, but it represents an improvement from where I started. My hematologist will continue monitoring the condition and determining whether my treatment needs to be adjusted.
Because my kidneys are severely impaired, all medications must be reviewed carefully. A medicine that is safe for someone with normal kidney function may remain in the body longer when the kidneys cannot remove it properly.
Concern About Infection or Inflammation
My recent white blood cell count was 20.3, with a neutrophil count of 18.5. Neutrophils made up more than 91 percent of my white blood cells. This pattern can occur with a bacterial infection, significant inflammation, physical stress, recent surgery, certain medications, or an underlying bone-marrow disorder.
I was taking amoxicillin-clavulanate for an infection when these tests were performed. Because the white count remained high, my doctors need to determine whether the infection is improving and whether the medication and dosage are appropriate for my kidney function.
A blood test cannot identify the cause by itself. My doctors must consider my symptoms, medical history, medications, and the results of repeat testing.
My Heart Condition
I also have heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. My BNP level was 759, which may indicate that the heart is under strain or that the body is retaining fluid. Kidney disease can also cause the BNP level to rise, so this number cannot be interpreted by itself.
I must watch for increased shortness of breath, swelling in my legs or abdomen, rapid weight gain, difficulty breathing while lying down, or unusual weakness. These symptoms could indicate that my heart and kidneys are having difficulty controlling the amount of fluid in my body.
Living With Parkinson’s Disease
Parkinson’s disease does not directly explain my kidney failure, elevated white blood count, high platelet count, or elevated BNP. It is a separate neurological condition, but it makes the management of my other health problems more complicated.
Parkinson’s can cause tremors, stiffness, slowed movement, shuffling steps, and difficulty maintaining balance. I already have diabetic neuropathy, two amputated toes, a previous hip replacement, arthritis in my knee, and limited mobility. When these conditions are combined with Parkinson’s, my risk of falling becomes much greater.
For this reason, maintaining movement safely is important. Physical therapy, tai chi, seated exercise, and Parkinson’s boxing may help preserve strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination. Any exercise program must be adapted to my heart, kidney, joint, and mobility limitations.
Parkinson’s can also interfere with the body’s ability to regulate blood pressure. My blood pressure may fall when I stand, resulting in dizziness, weakness, blurred vision, or faintness. This must be handled carefully because advice commonly given for low blood pressure—such as drinking more water or eating more salt—could worsen my heart failure or fluid retention. My neurologist, cardiologist, and kidney specialist must work together when making these decisions.
Protecting My Voice and Swallowing
My voice has always been important to my ministry. I have spent many years preaching, teaching, singing, and playing music. Parkinson’s can weaken the voice and make speech softer or less distinct. It can also make chewing and swallowing more difficult.
I must pay attention to coughing during meals, choking, a wet-sounding voice after drinking, unexplained weight loss, or recurring respiratory infections. These may be signs that food or liquid is entering the airway. Early speech and swallowing therapy may help me preserve my voice and protect my lungs.
I have no intention of surrendering my preaching, teaching, writing, or music without a fight. If therapy and regular practice can help preserve these abilities, I intend to make good use of them.
Fatigue, Thinking, and Emotional Health
Parkinson’s may cause fatigue, sleep disturbances, depression, anxiety, slowed thinking, and memory difficulties. However, these symptoms can also be caused by kidney disease, infection, thyroid problems, heart failure, low blood pressure, or medication side effects.
For that reason, I cannot assume that every new symptom is caused by Parkinson’s. Sudden confusion, extreme weakness, unusual sleepiness, or a rapid change in my mental condition could indicate an infection, medication reaction, worsening kidney function, or another urgent problem.
My thyroid-stimulating hormone was mildly elevated at 5.08, although my free T4 remained normal. This may also contribute to tiredness and should be monitored.
Moving Forward
Parkinson’s is a progressive illness, but progression is different for every person. The diagnosis does not mean that rapid disability or dementia is certain. Many people continue living active and meaningful lives for years with proper medication, exercise, therapy, family support, and careful medical supervision.
At present, Parkinson’s is not the greatest immediate danger revealed by my laboratory results. My doctors must first determine why my white blood count is so high, closely monitor my kidney function, evaluate my heart and fluid status, and continue treating my elevated platelet count.
My health care has become increasingly complicated. My neurologist, nephrologist, hematologist, cardiologist, primary-care doctor, and other specialists must communicate with one another. A treatment that helps one condition could potentially aggravate another, so each decision must consider my entire health picture.
I will be honest: carrying several serious diagnoses is not easy. There are days when the body grows tired and the future appears uncertain. Yet illness does not remove a person’s calling. It may change the way we fulfill it, but it does not erase the purpose God has given us.
I still have sermons to preach, lessons to teach, books to finish, songs to sing, and encouragement to offer. I must now do those things with greater wisdom, accepting help when needed and respecting the limitations of my body.
The road ahead may contain some difficult stretches, but I do not travel it alone. I am supported by my family, my church, my doctors, my friends, and most importantly, by the grace of God.
As the Apostle Paul wrote:
“My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”
—2 Corinthians 12:9, KJV
My health may be uncertain, but my faith is not. I will continue taking this journey one day at a time, trusting the Lord for wisdom, strength, and grace for whatever lies ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment