Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Another Bend in the Road: An Update on My Health

At seventy-eight years of age, I am learning that the body sometimes sets a slower pace than the mind would choose. There are still sermons to prepare, lessons to teach, stories to write, and family moments to enjoy. But lately, some of my attention has been given to doctor appointments, medical reports, and decisions about my health.

The latest report concerns the infection in my left foot. Although the foot had shown some outward improvement while being treated with antibiotics, the MRI confirmed that the infection involves bone in my third toe and the head of the bone behind it. The medical term is osteomyelitis—an infection of the bone.

The wound care examination also found a deep ulcer with exposed bone. This is more than a sore on the surface. It is a serious condition that requires continued treatment.

Surgery is scheduled for October 15, 2026. The proposed procedure is to remove my third toe and part of the infected bone behind it, along with the ulcer, and close the wound. The plan described in the report includes wearing a surgical sandal for about three weeks afterward. How well and how quickly the foot heals remains something we will have to watch.

I have already lost toes on this foot, so this is familiar territory, although familiarity does not make it easy. I would certainly rather keep what I have. But I understand the purpose of removing the infected bone, and I am thankful for the doctors and wound care staff who are working to address it.

This foot problem comes alongside other health concerns. I have lived with diabetes for more than thirty years, and kidney disease continues to require close attention. Parkinson’s disease has now been confirmed as well. There are also heart concerns and other conditions that remind me that these earthly bodies do wear down.

I share this update because many of you have prayed, asked how I am doing, and shown kindness to me and my family. You deserve an honest answer. I am facing another surgery, and there are uncertainties about recovery. Yet there are also reasons to be thankful. The infection has been identified, a treatment plan is in place, and I have people around me who care.

Through years of ministry, I have stood beside others facing illness, surgery, and loss. Now I am reminded again that the Scriptures we offer to others are also meant to sustain us.

The LORD told Paul:

“My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”
—2 Corinthians 12:9, KJV

That promise does not tell me that every medical report will be favorable or that recovery will be easy. It tells me that God’s grace is sufficient in the circumstances I must face.

I believe in prayer, and I am thankful for medical care. I can ask the LORD for healing while accepting the treatment available to me. Trusting Him includes placing the outcome in His hands when I cannot see what lies ahead.

Please pray for the October 15 surgery, for wisdom and steady hands for those performing it, and for the infection to be resolved and the wound to heal. Remember Laverna and our family as well. Illness touches the people who love us, even when they are not the ones undergoing treatment.

I still have work I hope to do and words I hope to share. For now, I will take the next step, attend to what needs attention, and trust the LORD for strength each day.

This old country preacher has reached another bend in the road. I cannot see all that is around it, but I am thankful I do not have to travel it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment