Monday, August 17, 2026

I Will Not Support Candidates Who Continue Funding Endless Wars

Here is a letter I sent to Sen Todd Young.

Subject: I Will Not Support Candidates Who Continue Funding Endless Wars

Dear Sen Young,

I am writing as an American citizen, taxpayer, Christian minister, and voter. I want to state my position plainly: I will not vote for any elected official who continues supporting, funding, or enabling the wars being fought by the government of Israel.

This is not opposition to Jewish people, nor is it support for Hamas, Iran, or terrorism. Every human life—Jewish, Palestinian, Iranian, Arab, Christian, and Muslim—has value before God. I condemn terrorism, the killing of civilians, the taking of hostages, collective punishment, forced displacement, and attacks upon innocent people, regardless of who commits them.

The United States has provided Israel with enormous military, financial, and diplomatic support while the conflicts have spread throughout the Middle East. American weapons and taxpayer dollars have helped sustain military operations that have killed and displaced civilians and increased the danger of a much larger regional war. Supporting an ally must never mean granting its government unlimited authority to wage war without accountability.

It is time to put America first—not as a slogan, but as a responsible national policy.

Putting America first means:

  • Protecting American servicemen and women from unnecessary and unauthorized wars.

  • Requiring Congress to fulfill its constitutional responsibility before committing our nation to hostilities.

  • Ending blank-check military assistance and demanding accountability for the use of American weapons.

  • Investing American tax dollars in our veterans, infrastructure, farms, small businesses, healthcare, border security, and struggling families.

  • Pursuing diplomacy before bombing and peace before escalation.

  • Refusing to allow any foreign government to determine when, where, or against whom America goes to war.

Israel has the right to protect its citizens, but that right is not unlimited. No nation has the right to disregard civilian life, international law, or American interests while expecting the United States to provide unlimited weapons, money, and political protection.

Our country is already burdened by enormous debt. Our veterans often struggle to receive the care they were promised. American families face high costs for food, fuel, housing, medicine, and insurance. Yet Congress continues finding billions of dollars for foreign military campaigns without clearly explaining the objective, the limits, or the exit strategy.

America’s military should defend the United States—not serve as an instrument for another nation’s regional ambitions. American soldiers must not be placed in harm’s way because foreign leaders choose escalation over negotiation.

I am asking you to support:

  1. An immediate end to American participation in unauthorized hostilities involving Israel and Iran.

  2. A halt to offensive military assistance that may be used against civilians or to expand these wars.

  3. Full congressional debate and recorded votes before any further American military action.

  4. Strict oversight and public accounting of every dollar and weapon supplied.

  5. Sustained diplomacy aimed at a ceasefire, the release of hostages and prisoners, humanitarian relief, and a just peace for all people in the region.

Scripture declares, “Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God” (Matthew 5:9, KJV). It also commands us to “do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God” (Micah 6:8, KJV). Justice cannot be selective, and mercy cannot be limited by nationality.

My vote will be guided by these convictions. I will not support any candidate—Republican, Democrat, or independent—who continues to provide unconditional backing for these wars. I will support candidates who defend the Constitution, protect American lives, demand accountability, and possess the courage to work for peace.

Please tell me specifically whether you will vote to end unauthorized American involvement, restrict offensive military funding, and require congressional approval before further military action. A general statement about supporting peace will not be sufficient. I am asking for your position on actual votes and policies.

It is time for Congress to recover its constitutional authority. It is time to stop writing blank checks for war. It is time to put the lives, security, resources, and constitutional interests of the American people first.

Respectfully,

Larry G. Truitt
Thorntown, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment