There are times when I feel a little like Elijah. I am not saying that I am a prophet, nor am I claiming to possess some special revelation from God. I am simply saying that I understand something of the loneliness Elijah must have felt when he believed he was standing by himself.
Elijah had confronted the prophets of Baal. He had spoken against the wickedness of Ahab and Jezebel. He had witnessed the fire of God fall from heaven. Yet after all of that, he found himself beneath a juniper tree, exhausted, discouraged, and wondering whether his work had made any difference.
He cried unto the LORD:
“I have been very jealous for the LORD God of hosts: for the children of Israel have forsaken thy covenant, thrown down thine altars, and slain thy prophets with the sword; and I, even I only, am left.”
—1 Kings 19:10, KJV
God told Elijah that He had reserved seven thousand in Israel who had not bowed their knees to Baal.
That encourages me, but it also causes me to ask: Where were those seven thousand when Elijah needed to hear their voices?
They had not bowed to Baal, but Elijah did not know where they were. They may have been scattered, hidden, frightened, or quietly holding to their faith. Whatever the reason, Elijah felt as if he were standing alone.
Sometimes I understand how he felt.
When Speaking the Truth Makes You Feel Alone
I have spoken against what I believe to be the evil committed in the Middle East. I have condemned the killing of innocent people, the destruction of homes, the bombing of communities, and the suffering of children.
Because I have spoken against actions committed by the modern government of Israel, some pastors and Bible teachers have said that I am opposing God. I have been told that Christians must support Israel and that those who criticize Israel place themselves under the judgment of God.
Such accusations cause a man to search his heart.
I have asked myself: Have I become so disturbed by the suffering that I have allowed my emotions to blind me? Have I misunderstood the Scriptures? Have I misjudged the teachings of Jesus Christ? Am I wrong to speak against actions that I believe are sinful simply because they are committed by a nation called Israel?
I have prayed and searched the Scriptures. I cannot find where God commands His people to remain silent in the presence of injustice.
In fact, I find the opposite:
“Cry aloud, spare not, lift up thy voice like a trumpet, and shew my people their transgression.”
—Isaiah 58:1, KJV
The prophets of the Old Testament did not remain silent when Israel sinned. Moses rebuked Israel. Samuel confronted Saul. Nathan stood before David. Elijah condemned Ahab. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Amos, Micah, and Ezekiel exposed the sins of both the people and their rulers.
Were these men against Israel? No. They spoke because they feared God more than they feared man. They understood that loving a people does not require remaining silent about their sins.
Modern Israel Is Not Old Testament Israel
The modern State of Israel is a political nation established in 1948. It is governed by politicians, military leaders, courts, and political parties. It is not the same thing as Old Testament Israel living under the Mosaic covenant.
Even Old Testament Israel was never above the commandments of God. The LORD did not excuse injustice merely because Israel committed it. God judged Israel when its rulers became corrupt, when the poor were oppressed, when innocent blood was shed, and when the people turned away from righteousness.
The name “Israel” did not give its kings permission to do whatever they pleased.
Why, then, should Christians believe that the modern Israeli government must never be questioned?
A government is not the same thing as an entire people. Condemning the policies of Israel’s government is not the same as hating Jewish people. I reject hatred against Jews. I also reject hatred against Palestinians, Arabs, Muslims, Iranians, or any other people.
Every human life has value because every person was created by God. Every soul needs the saving grace of Jesus Christ.
I will not hold an entire people guilty for the actions of their leaders. But neither will I give any government moral immunity because it carries a biblical name.
Does Supporting Israel Guarantee God’s Blessing?
Many Christians quote God’s promise to Abraham:
“And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee.”
—Genesis 12:3, KJV
I believe the Word of God. But I do not believe this verse means that America may overlook injustice, support every decision of Israel’s government, and then expect God to bless us regardless of our own sins.
God’s blessing cannot be purchased through foreign policy.
America cannot shed innocent blood, glorify immorality, neglect the poor, practice greed, promote hatred, and involve itself in one war after another—and then expect unconditional blessing because our government supports Israel.
The Bible says:
“Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.”
—Proverbs 14:34, KJV
Notice that it says righteousness exalts a nation. It does not say political alliances exalt a nation. It does not say military power exalts a nation. It does not say financial support for another government will cover a nation’s sins.
America must answer to God for America.
Israel must answer to God for Israel.
Iran must answer to God for Iran.
Every nation and every ruler will eventually answer to the King of kings and Lord of lords.
The Voice of Christ’s Followers Must Be Heard
Where is the Christian voice when innocent people are suffering?
Where is the voice that says every child matters, whether that child is Jewish, Palestinian, Iranian, Syrian, Lebanese, Ukrainian, Russian, or American?
Where is the voice of the peacemaker?
Jesus said:
“Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.”
—Matthew 5:9, KJV
Jesus did not say, “Blessed are the warmakers.” He did not tell us to celebrate destruction or to excuse cruelty when it is committed by our preferred political side.
Christ taught us:
“Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them.”
—Matthew 7:12, KJV
That command must apply to everyone. We cannot demand mercy for ourselves while denying it to others. We cannot condemn our enemies for killing civilians while excusing our allies when they do the same thing.
The followers of Christ must not surrender their consciences to a political party, a foreign government, a president, a prime minister, or a military alliance. Our first loyalty belongs to Jesus Christ.
When innocent blood is being shed, the Church must speak.
When children are suffering, the Church must speak.
When hatred is being preached, the Church must speak.
When governments attempt to justify injustice, the Church must speak.
When Christians confuse political support with obedience to God, faithful pastors and Bible teachers must speak.
Our words must be truthful. Our claims must be carefully examined. Our hearts must remain free from hatred. But silence is not always righteousness. Sometimes silence is simply fear wearing its Sunday clothes.
We Must Apply One Standard to Everyone
If an action is evil when Iran commits it, it remains evil when Israel commits it. If it is wrong when Hamas kills innocent people, it remains wrong when a government’s military kills innocent people. If aggression is wrong when Russia practices it, it remains wrong when America practices it.
God does not change His standard according to the flag flying over the battlefield.
“Divers weights, and divers measures, both of them are alike abomination to the LORD.”
—Proverbs 20:10, KJV
Christians damage their testimony when they condemn sin on one side and excuse the same sin on the other. The world sees that inconsistency, even when the Church refuses to acknowledge it.
We must stand for truth without becoming hateful. We must oppose injustice without assigning collective guilt to an entire people. We must pray for Israelis and Palestinians, Jews and Muslims, soldiers and civilians, leaders and the families suffering beneath their decisions.
I May Feel Alone, but I Am Not the Only One
Perhaps there are still seven thousand.
Perhaps there are pastors who are praying but are afraid to speak. Perhaps there are Bible teachers quietly questioning what they have been taught. Perhaps there are faithful Christians who love the Jewish people but cannot support everything done by Israel’s government. Perhaps there are Jewish men and women themselves who are crying out against injustice.
I may not always hear their voices, but God knows where they are.
The LORD reminded Elijah that the work did not depend upon one weary man. God was still working when Elijah could not see it. He had preserved a remnant, prepared Elisha, and remained sovereign over the affairs of nations.
That is something I must remember.
I am not responsible for making everyone agree with me. I am responsible for examining my heart, searching the Scriptures, verifying the facts, speaking the truth in love, and remaining faithful to Jesus Christ.
I am willing to admit that my opinions are opinions. I have never claimed that God gave me a special vision concerning modern Israel or the Middle East. I may misunderstand some events. I may need to correct some conclusions. But I cannot look at suffering, destruction, and innocent blood and pretend that evil becomes righteousness merely because of who committed it.
A Final Word from This Country Preacher
I do not hate Israel. I do not hate the Jewish people. I do not hate the Palestinians, the Iranians, or the Muslims. I desire that every person come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
But love does not require blindness.
Faith does not require silence.
Supporting the Jewish people does not require unconditional support for the government of Israel.
Following Jesus does require that we love our enemies, defend the innocent, speak truth, practice mercy, and seek peace.
The Church must recover its voice—not the voice of nationalism, political propaganda, or blind loyalty, but the voice of Jesus Christ.
It must be a voice that says:
“But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream.”
—Amos 5:24, KJV
There may be seven thousand who have not bowed their knees to the Baal of political power. If so, it is time for some of those voices to be heard.
We must speak carefully, prayerfully, and truthfully. We must speak without hatred and without fear. We must stand for the innocent regardless of their race, religion, nationality, or which side of a border they were born on.
And when it seems that we are standing alone, we must remember Elijah.
God still knows where the seven thousand are.
The truth is still the truth.
Sin is still sin.
Jesus Christ is still Lord.
And the voice of His followers must still be heard.
No comments:
Post a Comment