Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Who Am I?

I felt I should share this rant with the entire world and not just a few friends. I understand why Jesus asked his disciples, "Who do men say that I am."  If He were living in our culture today there would be many things people would say He was. 

I am having a hard time keeping up with all the various classification I have been placed in by those who disagree with me.  It started out that I was a bigot, then I progressed to a racist, somewhere along the line I because a homophobic, then I was a xenophobic, some thought I was hateful and unloving, others put me with the conspiracy theorist, and now I find out I am a Nazi.  

I have been misclassified by a former President of the United States who said, “And it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Is it any wonder that I am frustrated?  People keep changing who they think I am.  I need to set the record straight.  It is very tempting to dismiss this as a fluke, or a misunderstanding of who I am.  To allow someone to classify me as something I am not would be an act of willful indifference on my part to those who do not know me just to ignore these “classifications.” The truth is that I along with many others like myself have become the target of those who can only use name calling as their intellectual argument.  They do not take the time to get to know who we are indeed.

So as my grandpa would say, “Let me give you the straight of this story.”

First, I am not a bigot. Even though I will express my opinion, I will never regard or treat someone with hatred or intolerance.  I believe everyone has the right to express themselves without me calling them names or showing hatred and bigotry of those who disagree with me. 

There are those who believe that name calling is a tool to be used to manipulate and influence public opinion to conform to their ideas.  It has been said if you repeat a lie often enough people will accept it as the truth.

Next, I am not a racist.  Just because I believe that our government has the sovereign right to allow only certain people into our country based on our immigration laws does not make me a racist.  Just because I believe those who break the law by sneaking into this country should be deported does not make me a racist.  I love my grandchildren who have Mexican heritage, who have Nicaraguan heritage and have white European ancestry.  The same with my nieces and nephews who have Korean, and Nicaraguan heritage.  Race is not an issue.

I am not sure when it exactly happened but somewhere along the line, I because a homophobic.  I do not have a contempt, prejudice, aversion, hatred or antipathy, based on irrational fear, of people who are identified or perceived as being lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender.  Just because I may be critical of their lifestyle does not mean I am hostile or violent towards them based on their sexual orientations any more than I am those who choose adultery, incest, fornication or child abuse.  I believe these lifestyles are not conducive to good family life.  I know people in every one of these chosen lifestyles, but I do not hate them or wish them harm or want to destroy their livelihood.  I only hope they felt the same towards me.  Those I know in each of these categories I have treated with respect even though I do not condone or approve of their lifestyle.

Of all the names I have been called xenophobic may be the closest to being accurate.  I do have a fear and distrust of Islam. I am very suspicious of the activities of Muslims, and I do have a desire to eliminate their terrorist activities.  I am critical of Islam because it seeks world domination at the cost of my freedom and liberty.  Islam has declared it aims to destroy America, this makes me suspect of all Muslims.  I may be wrong in what I believe about the Islamic agenda, but I can only base this belief on what I see happening in Europe and the Middle-East.

The latest classification is calling me a Nazi.   Donny Deutsch who is Jewish and should understand that there were men who fought in World War II to free the world from the Nazis and free Jewish prisoners from the death camps, went as far as condemning the close to 63,000,000 voters of Donald Trump this way: “If you vote for Trump, then you, the voter, you, not Donald Trump, are standing at the border, like Nazis going you here, you here.”

Mr. Deutsch may have a hatred for President Trump but to classify Trump voters as Nazis is an insult to the veterans who fought to free the Jewish people from the death camps that voted for President Trump. It is an insult to those have never forgotten what happened to the 6 million Jews who died at the hands of the Nazis and have agreed with the Jewish people “Never Again.”  It is easy for me to understand why the Jewish people are having a hard time being liked around the world.  When statements like this are made by prominent Jewish people, this does not go over well.  To be accused of being a murder and condoning genocide because I voted for someone who he does not like, does not speak well of him or his people.  Maybe he has forgotten how much President Trump has helped the nation of Israel?  Which if I am not mistaken are Jewish people. Perhaps he has forgotten the number of evangelical Christians who are major supporters of Israel?  I have never advocated the genocide of any race and especially the Jewish people.  So, Mr. Deutsch, I am not a Nazi, even though I voted for President Trump.

Finally, yes, I would cling to my guns if I had one, I do, however, cling to my religion.  I am not bitter, I do not have hostility towards people who are not like me.  I am not anti-immigrant, I just do not want illegals coming into my country and destroying our way of life.  I am not anti-trade I am for a free market on a level playing field.  Yes, I am frustrated with all the name-calling by people who have never spoken with me, would not know me if I walked up to them, yet they are free to call me names and question my character. 

Now that I have given you the straight of the story, I hope you understand me a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment