Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Spiritual Dementia

 A few days ago, I watched a video on dementia.  I am at that age where I forget things regularly.  Like where I put things, the names of people I have known for years, and if I am going or coming into a room.  I even forget words that I have used for years.  So, I found this video interesting enough to do some dementia research.  While doing my research, I got the thought that many Christians have spiritual dementia.  Here are some symptoms to look for in your spiritual life.

To have dementia, a person needs to have at least two impairments that significantly interfere with everyday life to receive a dementia diagnosis.  I think the same could be said for spiritual dementia.

In addition to difficulty remembering, the person may also experience impairment in: language, communication, focus, and reasoning. Let's spiritually look at these.

1. Subtle short-term memory changes

Trouble with short-term memory can be an early symptom of dementia. The changes are often subtle and tend to involve short-term memory. 

Psalms 77:10 And I said, This [is] my infirmity: [but I will remember] the years of the right hand of the Most High.

Often, we forget what the LORD has done for us in the past when we are going through physical illness.  We are only focused on our present condition.  In our prayers, we forget to praise the LORD for his mercy and grace.  We often forget the loving-kindness that has been shown to us by the LORD.

Psalms 77:11I will remember the works of the LORD: surely I will remember thy wonders of old.  Have we forgotten the works the LORD has done for us?

Psalms 89:47 Remember how short my time is: wherefore hast thou made all men in vain?  Even if we live to be in our 90s, our time is brief compared to eternity, and we often forget the shortness of life.

We have forgotten our first love for the LORD.  There was a time when we did not question the commandment of the LORD.  Psalms 103:18  To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them. Psalms 143:5 I remember the days of old; I meditate on all thy works; I muse on the work of thy hands.

2. Difficulty finding the right words

Another early symptom of dementia is struggling to communicate thoughts. A person with dementia may have difficulty explaining something or finding the right words to express themselves. Having a conversation with a person who has dementia can be difficult, and it may take longer than usual to conclude.

Communication is essential in the life of a Christian.  Many Christians struggle with what is good communication.   Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is useful to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.  

The use of swear words is not edifying.  I have often said swearing is the effort of a feeble mind to express itself forcibly.  Psalms 141:3 - Set a watch, O LORD, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.  Proverbs 15:2 - The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness.  2 Timothy 2:16 - But shun profane [and] vain babblings: for they will increase unto more unrighteousness.  Colossians 4:6 - Let your speech [be] always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. Proverbs 12:18 - There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise [is] health.  Psalms 19:14 - Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.  Proverbs 16:23 - The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips.

3. Changes in mood

A change in mood is also familiar with dementia. If you have dementia, it isn't always easy to recognize this in yourself, but you may notice this change in someone else. Depression, for instance, is typical of early dementia.

We live in difficult times, and we often see no hope for things becoming better in our lives.  The loss of our income, a place to live, food on the table, fear of dying from the virus all weigh upon the mind and often cause depression.  Depression is a terrible state of mind.  It destroys hope, joy, and peace.  This is not the life the LORD has for us.

Romans 15:13 - Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.  Philippians 4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  Psalms 91:1-16 - He that dwelleth in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.  2 Corinthians 12:9 - And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly, therefore, will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  2 Corinthians 4:8 - [We are] troubled on every side, yet not distressed; [we are] perplexed, but not in despair; Jeremiah 29:11 - For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

4. Apathy

Apathy, or listlessness, commonly occurs in early dementia. A person with symptoms could lose interest in hobbies or activities. They may not want to go out anymore or do anything fun. They may lose interest in spending time with friends and family, and they may seem emotionally flat.

16 But whereunto shall I liken this generation? It is like unto children sitting in the markets, and calling unto their fellows, 17 And saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned unto you, and ye have not lamented.  Revelation 3:15-16 - I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou were cold or hot.  

We have been admonished to be careful about our spiritual condition.  Revelation 3:2 - Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.   James 4:17 - Therefore to him, that knoweth to do good, and doeth [it] not, to him, it is a sin.  Hebrews 5:11-12 - Of whom we have many things to say, and hard to be uttered, seeing ye are dull of hearing.   Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith [it is] impossible to please [him]: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and [that] he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.  Ecclesiastes 9:10 - Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do [it] with thy might; for [there is] no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. 1 John 3:17-18 - But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels [of compassion] from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him?   

5. Difficulty completing everyday tasks

A subtle shift in the ability to complete routine tasks may indicate that someone has early dementia. This usually starts with difficulty doing more complex tasks like balancing a checkbook or playing games with many rules.  Along with the struggle to complete familiar tasks, they may struggle to learn how to do new things or follow new routines.

The standard task of a Christian is to keep the commandment of the LORD.  John.14  If ye love me, keep my commandments.  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him and will manifest myself to him.  John.15  If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.  1John.2  And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.  He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.   But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.  1John.3  And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.  And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.  1John.5  By this, we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.   For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.  Rev.14 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

6. Confusion

Someone in the early stages of dementia may often become confused. When memory, thinking, or judgment lapses, confusion may arise as they can no longer remember faces, find the right words, or interact with people normally.  Confusion can occur for several reasons and apply to different situations. For example, they may misplace their car keys, forget what comes next in the day, or have difficulty remembering someone they've met before.

If there is confusion in our life, it is not from the LORD.  1 Corinthians 14:33 - For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. If we are struggling with our spiritual life not know who to believe, turn to the LORD.  2 Timothy 2:7 - Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things.  1 John 4:1 - Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.  Philippians 4:8-9 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things [are] honest, whatsoever things [are] just, whatsoever things [are] pure, whatsoever things [are] lovely, whatsoever things [are] of good report; if [there be] any virtue, and if [there be] any praise, think on these things.   We have been warned on many occasions that we are to, 1 Peter 5:8 - Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:  Our prayer should be, Psalms 119:34 - Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with [my] whole heart.  Isaiah 40:31 - But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.  Proverbs 28:5 - Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all [things].

7. Difficulty following storylines.

Difficulty following storylines may occur due to early dementia. This is a classic early symptom. Just as finding and using the right words becomes difficult, people with dementia sometimes forget the meanings of words they hear or struggle to follow along with conversations. 

It is challenging to follow Christ when we do not understand the spiritual conversation He has with us.  This conversation is only understood by being led by the Holy Spirit.  John 14:26 - But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.  John 16:13 - Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.  1 Corinthians 2:10 - But God hath revealed [them] unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.  Ephesians 1:17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him. 

8. A failing sense of direction

The sense of direction and spatial orientation commonly starts to deteriorate with the onset of dementia. This can mean not recognizing once-familiar landmarks and forgetting regularly used principles. It also becomes more challenging to follow a series of directions and step-by-step instructions.

As we drift away from the LORD, we lose all sense of direction and purpose in life.  We no longer recognize the landmarks of old.  The guidepost the LORD has placed along our journey to guide us to  His heavenly kingdom has been removed.   Ecclesiastes 12:13 - Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.  1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - What? Know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost [which is] in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? Isaiah 43:7 - [Even] everyone called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.  John 15:16 - Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and [that] your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it to you.  Proverbs 29:18  Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

9. Being repetitive

Repetition is common in dementia because of memory loss and general behavioral changes. The person may repeat daily tasks, such as shaving, or they may collect items obsessively.  They also may repeat the same questions in a conversation after they've been answered.

The same repetitive actions are found in those who have forgotten God's commandments and do their carnal worship.  Mark 7:7-13  7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.  For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.  And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.    Col.2  As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:  Rooted and built up in him, and established in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.  Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.  For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.  And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

The LORD became tired and angry with the same old worship that lacked meaning.  He got to the point. He said, Your sacrifices are worthless, and your incense disgusting. I can't stand the evil you do on your New Moon Festivals or on your Sabbaths and other times of worship.  Isaiah 1:11, "To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he-goats." Matthew 6:7, "But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking."

10. Struggling to adapt to change

For someone in the early stages of dementia, the experience can cause fear. Suddenly, they can't remember people they know or follow what others are saying. They can't remember why they went to the store, and they get lost on the way home.  Because of this, they might crave routine and be afraid to try new experiences. Difficulty adapting to change is also a typical symptom of early dementia. 

The life in Christ is all about change.  It is about transformation, changing from a life of sin to a life of righteousness.  Isaiah 43:18-19 - Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old.  2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore if any man [be] in Christ, [he is] a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.  Romans 13:12 - The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us, therefore, cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. Ecclesiastes 7:10 - Say not thou, What is [the cause] that the former days were better than these? for thou dost not enquire wisely concerning this.  1 John 1:9 - If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

To have spiritual dementia, a person needs to have at least two impairments that significantly interfere with everyday life to receive a dementia diagnosis.  I know I suffer from some of these traits and am challenged to correct them.

I found where vitamin B can help reverse the effects of dementia.  So, I will start with the "B's" in the Bible.

Ephesians 5:5 Be ye, therefore, followers of God, as dear children;2 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savor.

Matthew 5:48 "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven, is perfect."

"For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth."  Leviticus 11:44

"Sanctify yourselves, therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God." Leviticus 20:7


No comments:

Post a Comment