Thursday, November 10, 2022

Loss of Respect

 Over the years, I have observed a disturbing trend that has created a generation of disrespectful youth-the lack of spiritual guidance.

Parents no longer teach respect to their children. There was a time in our nation when an essential moral basis of the family was the respectful attitude of children toward their parents. From a young age, children were taught respect for their elders. As a child, I learned very quickly not to interrupt adults when they were talking, never walk between adults, children were to be seen and not heard, and never back-talk to your elders. There was a time long ago when children were respectful to their elders, even fearful. Those days are long gone and are now only stories told by grandparents when they were a kid and children were obedient and respectful.

.A respectful attitude towards parents and the older generation, in general, was expected of all children. There was a time when society condemned those who allowed themselves a disrespectful attitude toward their elders. This was based on the religious teaching of one's parents to honor your father and mother as a commandment from God.

The lack of religious instruction in the family has created a generation that does not know God or show respect for their parents and the elderly. The decline in teaching respect and honor started with the Baby Boomer generation. The decline in punishment for disrespect resulted in an era of undisciplined children who lacked the fear of physical accountability for their actions. Rather than using the rod of correction, the parent chose to spare the rod and spoil the child." Punishment was  "time out" or "being grounded." 

Proverbs 13:24 KJV

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Proverbs 23:13 KJV. 

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Proverbs 19:18 KJV

Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.

I am sure some heard these words from their parents just before the correct rod was applied, "This hurts me more than it will hurt you." It was several years before I understood what my parents meant. Physical punishment of a child is torturous for the parent. I remember my mother crying while she was whipping me, and I did not understand why she was crying; I was hurt.

As a child growing up, I was often reminded of the passage of scripture in Deuteronomy 21:18-21

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them: then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city, and unto the gate of his place; And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear."

I was told that I should be thankful I was not living in the Old Testament times. I learned later that even in the New Testament, you could be put to death "For God commanded: esteem father and mother; and: he who reviles father or mother shall die by death" (Matthew 15:4) 

I am well aware that so me will find the physical punishment of a child the reason for the cycle of violence. There is a significant difference between punishment and abuse. Looking back on my life, I did believe my parents abused me, and I knew they loved me despite my need for correction.

Just a thought, maybe if there were more use of the rod and less sparing of the rod, there would be less violence and more respect among our youth today.

No comments:

Post a Comment