Monday, November 8, 2010

Advice To Ministers


Over the forty some years of serving in the ministry there are some things I have learned from experience and some from others who have been in the ministry. Here is  advice that has been given to me from my father, father-in-law, pastors and from my grandfather.  I do not claim originality for much of the content of this article, although some has come from my own ignorance of being a pastor.

First, let me share this with you, I never wanted to be a pastor.  Both my father and father-in-law were pastors.  I observed how they were treated and didn’t want to subject myself to that type of experience.  However, the Lord had a different plan.  So after surrendering to his will, I found myself a pastor.  I trust some of the knowledge I have gained over the years will be helpful to those who are in the ministry.  Among Quakers we have what is known as Advice and Queries, this is Advice only.

Don’t start until you are sure you have been called by God.

Make sure to fill every area of your mind with knowledge.  If your brain is not crammed with knowledge you will become a sound brass and tinkling simpleton.

Don’t apologize for the Truth. Preach it!

Don’t defend the Truth.  Truth is its own defense.

Don’t criticize children.  They need models not critics.

Preacher’s kid sometimes acts badly because they hang out with the parishioner’s kids.

Don’t be embarrassed because of the lack of original thought.  Most of us know only what we have learned.

Don’t parade your learning.  Give the people the results and not the process of your scholarship.

Don’t be deceived by the flattery of the few.  Most of your congregation will walk out in silence.

Don’t rush to make changes. People are tied to traditions. 

Don’t use slang.  It is the dry rot of language.

Don’t be late.  Be as punctual in the Lord’s service as you are in your work at the office or shop.  The Lord’s work is worthy of your best.  Don’t give him your crumbs.

Don’t feel as a minister, you can do what any other Christian may do.  In theory--- yes.  Practicality—no.  You are a man set apart and there should be a difference.

Remember you are called by the Lord to the ministry.

Don’t make a funeral service an evangelistic opportunity.

Don’t be a church tramp. They are respected no more than other types of tramps.  All churches have their problems.  The perfect church is no longer perfect when you become a member.

Don’t expect a compliment when a lady says, “I’m going to be frank with you.”

Learn to discern people’s faces.

Don’t hide from the community you live in, be visible. 

Don’t invite seekers to the altar, invite them to Jesus Christ.

Don’t put your church in debt.  Learn to trust the Lord.

Remember you are a leader not a dictator.

Don’t preach your doubts.  Know what you believe and why.

Don’t imitate someone else, be a, “what you see is what you get” minister.

Remember the mind can only comprehend what the seat can endure. 

Don’t pound the pulpit, pound the truth.

And last, what is said in private to you is not to be shared with others, your spouse included.

No comments:

Post a Comment